Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) has awarded a 500MW/1,000MWh stand-alone battery storage system capacity contract in a reverse auction recently conducted.
Special-purpose provider JSW Renew Energy Five, a subsidiary of electricity producer JSW Energy's renewable energy business, won the bid.
India may need to deploy as much as 160GWh of energy storage systems to help integrate a planned 500GW of renewable energy by 2030, according to survey data released by the Energy Storage Association of India (IESA).
In the Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) tender, two 250MW/500MWh battery storage systems are planned to be built on the same site and connected to India's interstate transmission system via a substation in Fatehgarh, Uttar Pradesh.
The bidding process lasted more than 10 hours, with major Indian energy developers such as ReNew Solar Power, NTPC Renewable Energy and Azure Power, as well as international players such as energy trading investor Hartree Partners Singapore bidding on site.
According to reports, JSW Energy won the bid at a price of Rs 1,083,500/MW ($13,590/MW).
After months of anticipation in the industry, Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) officially launched a pilot tender in April this year, aiming to serve as a model for other tenders.
The Indian government is expected to launch a tender for a total of 4GWh of independent deployment of energy storage pilot projects. This is in addition to state-level bidding activities.
During a webinar on Clean Horizons India hosted by industry media in June, Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) Managing Director Dr. Bharath Reddy explained that the applications for pilot deployment of energy storage systems include energy arbitrage, helping utilities to Shifts energy to peak periods and helps reduce curtailment at renewable power generation facilities.
Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) will also reserve some storage capacity for grid operators to experiment with battery storage for ancillary services such as frequency response. So far, India has not rolled out a broad ancillary services scheme, but it is understood that this is changing.
Developers could also sell some of their battery storage capacity on the open market, Dr Reddy noted. Solar Energy Corporation of India (SECI) will sign contracts through a Battery Energy Storage Purchase Agreement (BESPA) to utilize 60% of the project's capacity, leaving the other 40% for developers to commercialize.
Its performance criteria include a minimum resource availability of 95% and take into account expected annual degradation. While energy storage project owners should maintain a round-trip efficiency of 85 percent or higher for their energy storage systems, their charging and discharging schedules will be set by the off-takers, and battery storage systems can be used for up to two full charge-discharge cycles per day.